Vermont Days 4 and 5

Day Four: Wednesday October 4, 2017


We went to Park Row Cafe in Waterbury for breakfast. It was a cute little cafe/diner that had a lovely breakfast sandwich for me and french toast and sausage for Jake. After breakfast, we headed into Montpelier. Our first stop was Morse Farm Sugar House. It was SUCH a tourist trap. I was really disappointed in the quality of everything. You could tell that it was a main stop for tourists. So we left without buying anything. We went back into downtown Montpelier for the farmers market at the capital. It was really cool. We tried some apple cider that was pressed just that morning. We tried some really good pork. We got to try some Ice Cider, which was so freaking good. My family has always loved Ice Wine, but this was better. Well, to me at least. I also got some blackberry chocolate ice cream in a fresh waffle cone. It was really, really good. And it was almost 80 degrees outside, so it was so refreshing.


After I finished my ice cream, we went into the Vermont Historical Society Museum. It was a cute little museum that had a lot more exhibits in it than I expected. After this, we just drove around. Jake took me to sit by the Reservoir and just enjoy the peacefulness of it all.

After leaving the lake, we went back into town to get lunch at Mad Taco. Jake enjoyed his but mine was not very good at all.


After lunch, we headed to NECI for Jake to speak to the new students. Him and another alum got to do a Q&A with the new class. He really enjoyed sharing his experience with them.


On the way back to Stowe, we took the long way and just drove around in the mountains. It was so, so pretty. I was driving, so unfortunately, I wasn’t able to get any pictures. But we drove around for probably an hour and a half. After driving, we headed back to the hotel to get changed for dinner.


Dinner was at Edson Hill. Oh. My. God. Best dinner of the week. Seriously. So fantastic. The atmosphere was amazing. The food was wonderful. The wine was superb. Jake knew the Executive Chef from when he was working in Vermont and he was really wonderful to us. We got our appetizers and desserts on the house and he made an effort to come out and talk to Jake. He even let Jake know that if he came back to Vermont, he would have a place in his kitchen…


Day Five: Thursday October 5, 2017


We woke up a little late and ate breakfast at the hotel. It was quite crappy. Today was going to be a long day of driving, so we just headed out and up north. I wanted to explore some of Northern Vermont and I had heard good things about the Northeast Kingdom Tasting Center. We headed up there and we arrived around 10:30 or 11:00. The place was dead. Absolutely dead. And no one even acknowledged our presence. So we left and drove on to Hall Home Place. It was supposed to be a cider tasting bar, but they are only open on the weekend. Not that there website would say such a thing. Needless to say, I was annoyed.


After those two failed attempts, we went to Snow Farm Vineyard. We did a wine tasting and tried all of their wines. They were pretty good but not as good as fresh tracks. I got mom a little baby bottle of Icewine and we got Jake’s mom a bottle of wine. So all in all it was a good stop.

After the vineyard, we went into Burlington to stop at the Beverage Warehouse to get Jakes co-workers some beer. We headed down to Shelburne Farms to walk the grounds. It was so pretty. The building is split into a few separate areas. Naturally, our first stop was the bakery. We got some freshly baked ciabatta. It was so good. I would have taken a picture, but we ate it… We went into where they make the cheese and watched them press the cheese. We then went over to the woodworking shop. Jake was in heaven. It was pretty cool, but I was more interested in the calves. They were the cutest thing EVER. Seriously. The one, her name was Apple, was so playful. She kept trying to eat Jake’s pants and my camera bag. It was super cute. The other one, Avocado, was a lot more timid. He was more interested in eating his hay than playing with us. After playing with the calves, we went and watched the goats for a bit and then Jake got to help with the feeding of the pigs. It was quite amusing to watch. The pigs acted like they had never been fed. It was great.


After Shelburne, we headed back to Stowe for dinner. We went back to Doc Ponds because it was so good and it was so close. It was just as good as the first time!

Published by

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s